Moving, whenever you choose to do it, can be a confusing, stressful experience. Keeping track of all the things you need to do, when to do it, and then knowing who’s done what, can boggle the mind. Throw into the mix, dealing with automated or understaffed call centres, ever changing moving dates and interest rates, and you may need a holiday to recover.
But it doesn’t have to be this way. Over the decades, we’ve learned a thing or two about what will make someone’s move run as smoothly as possible. Whether you have a professional team of Cairns removalists up your sleeve (*cough*), or you are planning to fly solo, we’ve compiled an ultimate checklist for moving house in 2024.
A week before you move.
- Collect any items that are being repaired, or have been loaned out, and any clothes sent out for cleaning.
- Arrange for any furniture or possessions that you’re not taking with you to be sold or disposed of.
- Check your garden shed, under the house and in the attic to sort out what you want to take with you.
- Return anything you have borrowed.
- Check that you have returned any library books.
- Pay any outstanding accounts.
- Cancel newspaper deliveries.
- Organise final readings for your water, gas and electricity meters.
- Organise the disconnection of your landline phone and internet services.
- Arrange for an electrician to disconnect any special light fittings you want to take with you.
- List the everyday items which you are bound to need prior to, and during your move. Put these items aside so that they are not accidentally packed with your household goods.
Two days before you move.
- Arrange for your valuable documents, jewellery, money, etc to be moved separately as these should not be included with household goods when moving.
- Wash and dry all dirty clothes.
- Dispose of flammables such as cleaning fluids, solvents, paints and matches as these items are too dangerous to transport or store. Many local councils provide disposal facilities for such items. Do not pour them down the drain.
- Drain any fuel from your lawn mower, whipper snipper, chainsaw or other machinery you may be moving and clean each item.
- Ensure all jars, bottles and cans containing non-flammable liquids are tightly sealed. Pack these in waterproof containers or plastic bags.
- Wash and dry all dishes for packing.
- Take down any curtains or blinds you intend to take with you.
- Empty all gas cylinders you may be moving.
The day before you move.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet and take all unwanted drugs to your chemist for proper disposal.
- Decide what items you want packed together; for example, all your linen or children’s toys, and group these items together for the removalists.
- Check all your drawers and remove any heavy items, liquids or breakables.
- Remove all food from your refrigerator and freezer. Defrost both compartments and wipe the interiors dry, then leave them to air for 24 hours. Check with their manufacturers whether the motor needs to be bolted down for transportation and arrange for this if necessary. Pack your refrigerator shelving and crispers separately.
- To prepare your washing machine for removal, disconnect from the water supply and always check with the manufacturer for advice.
- If you have a waterbed that needs to be moved it should be drained and the base dismantled. Once again, check with the manufacturer (or your removalist) for details.
- Ensure final readings are completed for electricity, gas and water meters.
- Make a final check of all cupboards, cabinets and storage areas to ensure nothing has been left behind.
- Plan your moving day so that you’re sure of what is your responsibility and what will be your removalist’s responsibility.
On the day of the move.
- Be on hand when our team of removalists arrive. If you can’t be there in person, arrange for someone to take your place.
- As soon as the removal crew arrives tell them whether they can park their vehicles in your driveway whilst they are loading. The same applies for the new location you are moving to.
- Tell the removal crew what items you will need first on your arrival, as they will pack these items last for transport.
- Arrange for any small children to be kept out of the removalists’ way.
- Check that nothing has been left lying around in your garden.
- Ensure that everything has been packed according to the plan developed with your Chess Removals consultant.
- Remain on the premises until everything has been packed and loaded for transport.
- Check and sign the Chess Removals Inventory.
- Turn off all taps.
- Check that the gas and electrical switches are turned off, and that your phone has been disconnected.
- Lock all windows and doors.
Download your ultimate moving checklist.
For ease of reference, we’ve created a downloadable PDF of our Ultimate Checklist for Moving House in 2024, which you can download here.
Alternatively, you can copy and paste the above checklist into your smartphone’s Notes app. Simply ‘select’ the checklist above, go to your Notes app, and before you paste the checklist, select the ‘list’ format. This will enable you to ‘check-off’ each action as your move unfolds.